DISCLOSURE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING I GET A COMMISSION IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINKS, AT NO COST TO YOU. PLEASE READ MY AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Making a full-time income affiliate marketing, working at home in your slippers and having a nap whenever you feel like it sounds great right!? Or how about travelling the world, living life on your own terms and opening up your laptop to messages of your bank account filling up with cash from your affiliate marketing business?
It definitely has an appeal to it that the office 9-5 slog just can’t beat. But, is it actually possible to make a full-time income with affiliate marketing or is this all just fluff talk from clever marketers trying to get you to sign up to their courses?
I’m not going to sit here and say that YOU personally can definitely make a full-time income from affiliate marketing, as I don’t know you as a person, your work ethic or abilities.
But, yes many people who put the effort in, invest in themselves and take action on what they learn, do earn a full-time income from affiliate marketing and sometimes earn money beyond what you could ever dream of in the beginning.
How to Start Making Money Affiliate Marketing
If you have been thinking about making a full-time income from affiliate marketing and dream of leaving your 9-5, you need to know where to start. Your first step should be learning the basics, educating yourself and starting to build up your brand.
- Choose a niche that is profitable. The first step when starting as a beginner affiliate marketer, is to choose a niche that is profitable. You can make money from being an affiliate for practically any product but the three most profitable niches are health, wealth and relationships. Decide on a niche that you are either passionate about or have some sort of knowledge in, as you’ll be spending a lot of time talking about it. You need to establish yourself as an authority in your niche and have a long term mindset with your content strategy, so being passionate or at least interested in what you’re promoting is essential.
- Get yourself a great mentor. By this, I don’t mean go and sign up to the guy standing in front of a Ferrari who is telling you he made a million in a few months and you can do it too! Avoid these people like the plague and research affiliate training courses with mentors who tell you how to build your affiliate business with a strong long term mindset, that it’s not a ‘get rich quick’ scheme, they have real top-class reviews from past successful students, they give you constant support, their course is detailed and they actually have worked hard themselves to get where they are.
- Research your affiliate product to promote. There are many ways to find great affiliate products to promote. You can do this by registering for affiliate programs on affiliate marketplaces or by finding private affiliate programmes. ClickBank and JVZoo are two examples of affiliate marketplaces where you can find products to promote. To find private affiliate programmes, you can contact owners of digital products directly through their websites or even become an affiliate for a course you have taken for example.
- Start building your audience on social media. Once you have your amazing product to promote, you need to start building your audience on social media. We are lucky enough to live in an age giving us access to free social media accounts which means millions of potential eyeballs for whatever product you are promoting. But, don’t be that spammy marketer that just sends their link to everyone saying ‘’buy this’’. If you want to make a full-time income from affiliate marketing, you need to build up a targeted audience by showing them you actually care and you have the answers to their problems. Be present on social media daily building your brand and talk to people like REAL people which will encourage your audience to grow.
- Constantly give value and put out quality content. People don’t real care about you, they care about what you can do for them. This is harsh but true! You need to be putting out valuable, quality content daily whether that’s in the form of articles on a blog, videos on Facebook and YouTube, social media posts and answering questions on sites like Quora. The more value you give and the more quality your content is, the more people will start to trust you and start to be enticed to click on your affiliate links.
- Keep a long term mindset and never give up. Making affiliate marketing your full-time career can take time and persistence. While it is possible, it’s thought that as little as only 5% actually make it to the big time. Many will give up in the first few months when they don’t make any money, but know that building a brand in any line of business takes time. Jeff Bezos the owner of Amazon, didn’t make any money in the first 3 years!! While I’m not saying it will take this long to see monetary returns, know there is no definitive timeline. Some people will start making money in the first three months, while others can take over a year. How long it takes to become a successful affiliate marketer, really is up to the individual.
When Should You Quit Your Job for Affiliate Marketing?
Making a full-time income from affiliate marketing can take time and persistence and it’s definitely NOT recommended to quit your normal job until you are making a good level of income to replace what you are currently earning.
But, the good thing is, starting affiliate marketing while you still have a full-time job is actually the best time! You may only have minimal time during your work day, but if you use that time wisely, you can start your new affiliate venture with little risk and have the funds to invest in a course to propel you forward faster.
Focus on leveraging the spare hours you have in-between your other commitments to do up to three main tasks for your new affiliate marketing business. An example would be; posting on social media, studying for one hour and writing a script for a new YouTube video.
Start getting into the habit of completing three tasks daily for your affiliate business and getting 1% better daily and you’ll start getting results.
Give yourself time to learn the basics and don’t beat yourself up if you make mistakes and get things wrong. Building any new business is a learning curve and know that failures will teach you a lot if you let them.
If you stay focused, keep taking action and keep giving out value in your affiliate marketing niche, you will start making commissions. This will lead to you making a full-time income from affiliate marketing and the time when you can say goodbye to the shackles of your current job and live life on your own terms!!